Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Gentooo, help !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Installing Gentooo, help !

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    It is unfortunate that the Gentoo dev's have been stretched to the point of releasing poorly tested software, I now understand what people were referring to in the Sabayon forums, with regard to Gentoo's problems.

Hopefully it won't take too long before most users will be able to follow the Gentoo Handbook's instructions to a successful installation.

For those interested the following link is very informative regarding these problems:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...c-start-0.html
    It is not the LiveCD that is buggy. I have used it a lot without any problem. It is only the graphical installer on the liveCD that is not performing well. This is well known in the gentoo community and it is not recommended at all to use this installer. Gentoo is to be installed manually following the very good handbook. If you want gentoo getting installed with a graphical installer try sabayon; but do not expect a higher speed than ubuntu. (I have tried it myself)
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by cotcot View Post
    It is not the LiveCD that is buggy. I have used it a lot without any problem. It is only the graphical installer on the liveCD that is not performing well. This is well known in the gentoo community and it is not recommended at all to use this installer. Gentoo is to be installed manually following the very good handbook. If you want gentoo getting installed with a graphical installer try sabayon; but do not expect a higher speed than ubuntu. (I have tried it myself)
    Man, I've been trying to install gentoo from the LiveCD for a week now, with it failing every single time. Both the GTK and dialog-based installers don't work for me. *sigh*, all that time wasted...

I'm gonna give the install cd a go later on today. Does the install cd allow you to pick and choose the CFLAGs you want, or do you have to manually recompile the kernel after the install?
    Linux User # 461308

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Skarjoko View Post
    Man, I've been trying to install gentoo from the LiveCD for a week now, with it failing every single time. Both the GTK and dialog-based installers don't work for me. *sigh*, all that time wasted...

I'm gonna give the install cd a go later on today. Does the install cd allow you to pick and choose the CFLAGs you want, or do you have to manually recompile the kernel after the install?
    Why don't you just do the stage3 tarball installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Why would you do anything but the stage3 install?

No, but seriously, the stage3 install is the best way to install gentoo. you just can't be 1337 without it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cubekid View Post
    No, but seriously, the stage3 install is the best way to install gentoo. you just can't be 1337 without it
    Yes, you can. If you do a stage1
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Yes, you can. If you do a stage1
    That depends whether you are into S&M or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123