Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Any chance of having this working without downgrading?
    I also got the "Transport endpoint is not connected".

Is it possible in xfce to use Nautilus without changing anything of the enviroment?

thanks in advance
    Pendergast

Beans

I'm having the same problem with smbnetfs after upgrading from hardy to intrepid. I've just edited my startup file to disable its multi-threaded operation, with a command line like this:

smbnetfs /my/mountpoint -s

So far, it hasn't crashed using this mode. (I suspect I have lost some performance, though.) I did not downgrade back to the hardy packages.

Related bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mb/+bug/198351

Update: smbnetfs crashed again even when running with -s.
    Last edited by foresto; January 7th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by EaPendergast View Post
    Any chance of having this working without downgrading?
    I also got the "Transport endpoint is not connected".
    Me to. Too bad, because I remember it worked fine on 7.10.

Quote Originally Posted by EaPendergast View Post
    Is it possible in xfce to use Nautilus without changing anything of the enviroment?

thanks in advance
    Pendergast
    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop

Beans

yeah, I guess if you have no other choice then mounting the network drive and accessing the mount point in Thunar is an ok workaround...

be better if there was proper network browsing tho...

say what you will about MS but I have yet to find a superior file manager to Windows Explorer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by maniaq View Post
    say what you will about MS but I have yet to find a superior file manager to Windows Explorer
    Try Konqueror 3.5.x. Right now I use KDE 3.5.10, but when I used to use XFCE, I used Konqueror for all my network browsing.
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans

so now that this doesn't work, there is no way to browse shares in xfce?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, found this thread looking for way to access my Buffalo Network drive from a newly xubuntu'd machine. In Ubuntu it got picked up straight away via Network Servers. Network servers does not seem to exist in xubuntu.

... am I having the same issue as has been/is being discussed here?

If not, please help me, otherwise this is a critical putoff for me with xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by maniaq View Post
    Thunar, Nautilus, and all *nix File Explorers have nothing to do with interfacing with network drives etc etc. It's the programs that interface with them. The problem is that Windows Network Browsing with other Windows computers is all fine because it's all proprietary coding, whereas the folks at SMB has to reverse engineer the Windows network file browsing so that *nix could browse Windows Shared Drives. So I wouldn't blame it on the File manager/explorer. That's just my opinion.

Beans

"Thunar, Nautilus, and all *nix File Explorers have nothing to do with interfacing with network drives etc etc."

Well, contemporary file explorers are typically expected to have a means to browse to network drives, so the two concepts aren't entirely divorced from one another.

"So I wouldn't blame it on the File manager/explorer."

I agree there, the problem here is in some lower level libsmbfs code or somewhere like that. Unfortunately there apparently wasn't enough regression testing to detect the bug prior to shipping Intrepid, which is poor since it crops up pretty quickly even in casual usage.

Oh well. Happily with the instructions presented here about reverting to the Hardy smbclient, everything seems to work. This post is now 17 pages long, though -- perhaps we should write-up a new procedure specific to Intrepid that includes the detailed instructions for reverting smbclient?

---Joel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JKoltner View Post
    "Thunar, Nautilus, and all *nix File Explorers have nothing to do with interfacing with network drives etc etc."

Well, contemporary file explorers are typically expected to have a means to browse to network drives, so the two concepts aren't entirely divorced from one another.

"So I wouldn't blame it on the File manager/explorer."

I agree there, the problem here is in some lower level libsmbfs code or somewhere like that. Unfortunately there apparently wasn't enough regression testing to detect the bug prior to shipping Intrepid, which is poor since it crops up pretty quickly even in casual usage.

Oh well. Happily with the instructions presented here about reverting to the Hardy smbclient, everything seems to work. This post is now 17 pages long, though -- perhaps we should write-up a new procedure specific to Intrepid that includes the detailed instructions for reverting smbclient?

---Joel
    I am quite surprised that it has not yet been fixed upstream
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast