Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to AFP shares

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Connecting to AFP shares

running intrepid (8.10) on AMD64 and built afpfs-ng from source, all that was needed was to use synaptic first to install the fuse dev packages and readline... then it configured/made with no errors...

However, when I try to mount a share from my Apple Time Capsule (and I've tried every imaginable URL and mount option) I'm greeted with the following message:

Code:
    Mounting 192.168.0.17 from User on /mnt/TimeMachine
    Could not pick a matching UAM
    Any ideas here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It has been difficult to find folks in the same situation because usually it's a question of having Time Machine backup to Ubuntu, or use samba to keep files in Ubuntu. I will share my progress and hope it is helpful.

I have had luck with Alex's afpfs-ng. I run Intrepid Server on a Dell desktop, and also a test environment using Parallels in OS X Leopard. My Time Capsule is on the LAN, and is also my router. The Dell connects via ethernet cable, and the Mac connects wirelessly. The purpose for mounting my Time Capsule in Ubuntu is not to park files so much as it is for running scheduled backup scripts via a command-line utility (rsync or dirvish). I can mount it in Ubuntu using either CIFS or afpfs-ng. I have recently decided to give AFP another shot after getting stuck on some permission and write issues with CIFS.

With AFP, I can mount the drive using the following command:

Code:
    mount_afp afp://username:password@host/timecapsulevolume /mountpoint
    Or in fstab:

Code:
    afpfs#afp://username:password@host/timecapsule volume /mountpoint fuse user=adrick,group=fuse 0 0
    Where your username and password are for the Time Capsule disk, depending on whether or not you allow disk access with accounts, the Time Capsule password or a disk password. You host is either what you choose when setting up time capsule (i.e. Bill Bixby's Time Capsule.local), your local IP address for the TIme Capsule, or if you allow WAN access you can use your domain name or IP address. Your Time Capsule Volume would be the name of the Time Capsule disk. The user and group in the fstab entry are for the Ubuntu user mounting the share.

More information about this can be found on Alex's page:

http://alexthepuffin.googlepages.com/

I have tried both CIFS and AFP, and AFP thus far has required less intimate time with configuration files and mount procedures than CIFS. Once setup mounting and unmounting is a breeze.

In your case I would recommend having a look at /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to make sure you have a line at the end of the file looking something like:

Code:
    - -transall -uamlist uams_randnum.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so -nosavepassword -advertise_ssh
    The important part is it pertains to mounting your Time Capsule to to make sure you have uams_dhx.so in that line.

By the way, once I started having success I decided to make the configuration more permanent by removing the Time Capsule drive, plugging it into my Mac, and then partitioning it to create a separate, non-journaled HFS file system for Ubuntu. That way I don't have Time Machine on my Mac fighting with Ubuntu for space. Here is an article to show you how if you end up going that route:

Teardown: a look inside Apple's Time Capsule backup appliance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the reply logopolis, but I'm not using netatalk. I previously posted that I built afpfs-ng from source, hence there is no afpd.conf file to speak of. If there should be one, I couldn't find anything about the need to create it in the afpfs-ng documentation...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

When I downloaded afpfs-ng, I also picked up the patched Netatalk from the Sourceforge page. Though you built yours, there may be a dependance on some of the Netatalk components.

Patched Netatalk

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't think the afpfs-ng package is dependant on the netalk package because it configures and builds without asking anything about netatalk being there. I did however attempt to test afpfs-ng mounting my Time Capsule both with and without netatalk installed on my machine with the same results, it gave me the UAM errors.

I'm actually not enjoying the tremendous amount of trouble here to get this accomplished and have decided to wait for a 64bit package of afpfs-ng before I will attempt to use it again.

In the meantime I'm going to go down the samba route towards accessing my Time Capsules share as it easily mounts in windows today.

However, if a 64bit debian package becomes available, please post on this thread as I will continue to follow it and you will have one more tester
    Last edited by tehk; January 26th, 2009 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Connecting to AFP shares

Hi, quick question:
    What if the password has the @ character. It confuses the command. Is there an escape sequence for this?

Thanks,
    Addiel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tehk View Post
    running intrepid (8.10) on AMD64 and built afpfs-ng from source, all that was needed was to use synaptic first to install the fuse dev packages and readline... then it configured/made with no errors...

However, when I try to mount a share from my Apple Time Capsule (and I've tried every imaginable URL and mount option) I'm greeted with the following message:

Code:
    Mounting 192.168.0.17 from User on /mnt/TimeMachine
    Could not pick a matching UAM
    Any ideas here?
    I did run into the exact same issue (8.10/amd64), the important thing seems to be that libgcrypt (and libgmd?) are installed before ./configure - otherwise some encrypted authentication methods do not seem to work, but compilation succeeds without prominent warnings.

This is a rough version of the commands I did run to get it to work:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install libgcrypt-dev libgmp3-dev libfuse-dev libreadline-dev
    # extract sourcecode, cd into source directory
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    note that the default prefix /usr/local installed libraries into /usr/local/lib, which were not found when running afp_mount or afpfsd using my default? ubuntu config, hence the --prefix=/usr

Beans

Hi. I'm the author of afpfs-ng, maybe I can help.

When compiling from source, you first need to install said crypto devel packages before running configure. If not, it won't include all the authentication modes which are required for the TC.

In a future release, I will include a clearer error message, something like "Could not find a matching UAM, you probably built afpfs-ng without the gcrypt-devel package.".

In terms of the @ character in a password, I can't remember the escape sequence I added to handle this (and don't have the code in front of me). It may be "@@" or "\@". Another way is to use a password of "-", which will then prompt you interactively for the password.

My email address is a better way to get hold of me, and I really do want afpfs-ng to work for you.

- Alex

Beans

Hello!

I have following problem

mount_afp afp://ufficio:ufficio@192.168.178.8 /media/afp_mount_Geremia/
    Incorrect permissions on /dev/fuse, mode of device is 20660, uid/gid is 0/106. But your effective uid/gid is 1000/1000

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sweetness!

a few months go by, the author stops in, and mounting prevails

i used the 0.8.1 code instead of CVS source (cvs wouldn't compile-errors)
    and first installed the dev packages as recommended, worked like a charm!

this is all good because the last 24 hours have seen my macbook air "undeleting" my user folder (38 gigs gone) to my time capsule. now that i can mount this on my linux box, i can swap the files over, sort em out... and rebuild my airbook!

cheers for the help fellas

-tehk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast