Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Connecting to AFP shares

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Connecting to AFP shares

I haven't tried using AFP to connect to a share, but I've had good luck mounting a shared Airport Extreme disk using CIFS on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm able to automatically mount (fstab) my WD MyBook (HFS+) attached to a Airport Extreme and shared with a password over my workgroup. The drive is always mounted at /media/MB_Media as well as on my desktop and on the side of the Places explorer. If it helps anyone, here's what I did (based on a compilation of tutorials around the 'net).

Create the mountpoint directory and edit the fstab to automount.
    sudo mkdir /media/mount
    sudo vi /etc/fstab

Add a line at the bottom of the fstab for the new share. //Disk/MB Media is the share, raidoh is the local user, credentials holds the u/p for the remote user, file_mode and dir_mode set share permissions same as chmod and can be whatever you need.
    #Mount Airport Extreme media server for music and storage (\040 is for the space in the name)
    //Disk/MB\040Media /media/MB_Media cifs auto,iocharset=utf8,uid=raidoh,gid=users,rw,creden tials=/root/.credentials.MB_Media,file_mode=0700,dir_mode=0700 0 0

Create the credentials file to securely store the username and password
    sudo vi /root/.credentials.MB_Media

Add a line for u/p. I don't have a username since the AE shares with just a password.
    username=username
    password=password

Save the file and exit
    Change the persmissions of the file so it's only readable by the root
    sudo chmod 600 /root/.credentials.MB_Media

Test the setup
    sudo mount -a

If you ever need to unmount it
    sudo umount /media/MB_Media

I know my Mac is connecting to the AE disk and running Time Machine (hence the HFS+ for the partition on the WD MyBook), but is there another advantage to AFP over CIFS I should be considering?

Beans

I'm trying to connect to a friends AFP server and I'm stuck at installing afpfs-ng... I downloaded the debian package and tried to install it, but I received this error message

(Reading database ... 197601 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking afpfs-ng (from .../afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /home/myuser/Downloads/afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libafpclient.so.0.0.0', which is also in package libafpclient0 0.8.1.0-0ubuntu1~ppa3~oneiric1
    dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
    dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed in write on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Broken pipe

I'm pretty new to linux so I have no idea what this means. I tried deleting libafpclient.so.0.0.0 but no luck

any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by molindern; May 14th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Beans

That error is telling you that you already have the package installed via apt-get or aptitude. You need to remove it first using a command like: "sudo apt-get remove afpfs-ng-utils"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234