Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecting to AFP shares

Beans

Connecting to AFP shares

Hi all,

I've been trying to connect to AFP shares on a macbook running Leopard from my macbook running Ubuntu 8.10.
    So, after some searching on the internet, I chose to install 'afpfs-ng' (0.8.1). I read somewhere that it needs libfuse-dev and libgcrypt to run, so I installed those first, but when I tried 'sudo make install' on afpfs-ng, it returned errors (see attached files). the command afp_client doesn't work either.

I ran the following commands
    ./configure
    sudo make install 2> make-install-errors.txt

I attached a file containing the errors during make install.

Does anyone know how to get it working?

Thanx
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Connecting to AFP shares

I haven't had good luck with AFP or that particular utility.

I would suggest instead using NFS to share the files. Instructions for setting up an NFS server on your Mac can be found here: http://mactechnotes.blogspot.com/200...fs-server.html

Hope this helps.
    Hate fighting with Linux? Buy Preinstalled!
    Love fighting with Linux? Try Gentoo!

Beans

Thanx for your quick reply, but it's not going to work in my case, since the Leopard machine is my sister's, and she doesn't like me messing around with her computer. I did try SMB sharing (since that's a leopard builtin function, though, but that didn't work either. It keeps saying I can't connect, and I can't find a way to enter a username and password to login to the machine SMB-wise.
    Any thoughts on that?

Beans
    Distro

If she wouldn't allow you to set up an NFS server, I would suggest that you might want to give SMB another shot. If you think the problem is with your Ubuntu machine on the client side, you might want to look into a very long post that looks promising:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280473

Beans

I wrote afpfs-ng, so I can probably help.

Building afpfs-ng requires first installing the readline development libraries, you should do that first.

Did you try the prebuilt afpfs-ng debian package?

- A

Beans

What were your problems with afpfs-ng? I'd like to make sure it works, so your feedback is appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexthepuffin View Post
    I wrote afpfs-ng, so I can probably help.

Building afpfs-ng requires first installing the readline development libraries, you should do that first.

Did you try the prebuilt afpfs-ng debian package?

- A
    I do not recall manually installing any 'readline development libraries' and I was not aware of the existence of a debian package, I would have tried that first (way easier).
    So: I've been looking on the internet for the readline libraries and I found a package called 'libreadline5-dev', and installed it.
    Also, I searched for a prebuilt Debian package of afpfs-ng and I found this on sourceforge that looked promising. I downloaded the .deb one, but it didn't install, (wrong architecture 'i386', I have Core2Duo).

So after installing libread5-dev, I tried building the platform independent package again, but no success.

I attached a file with errors during 'make install'.

Thanks for the help.

--
    walletmender

PS @nixscripter:
    I haven't had much time at all last week, so I haven't had time to check out the link you posted. But thanks anyway and I'll be doing that later on, if there's really no hope for the AFP way.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

You need to install autoheader and autoconf to your system, and then rebuild.

Beans
    Distro

Do you have the build-essential package installed? I think that should include both of those, but I'm not sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by walletmender View Post
    I downloaded the .deb one, but it didn't install, (wrong architecture 'i386', I have Core2Duo).

So after installing libread5-dev, I tried building the platform independent package again, but no success.

I attached a file with errors during 'make install'.
    I had the same problems (running Intrepid on an amd64). Ubuntu rookie here. I made sure the following were installed:

libfuse-dev libreadline5 libreadline5-dev build-essential libgcrypt11-dev libgmp3-doc libmpfr-dev libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dbg libgmp3-dev libgmp3c2 fuse-source

then recompiled and voila! Overkill, probably, but I was trying everything until I saw this about the readline libs.

I even installed curlftpfs to make sure that I didn't miss a fuse dependency, but I should have known that shouldn't have been a problem because sshfs should have already been installed. But I didn't know what I needed to install for building rather than just installing.

As far as connection options, an earlier poster was right - you could also connect to the Mac using nfs or smbfs or even sshfs.

I haven't tried ftpfs yet. I also haven't tried to put this into the fstab according to the instructions on this page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast