Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 Terminal/Boot Splash doesn't display correctly

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Ubuntu 10.04 Terminal/Boot Splash doesn't display correctly

I just upgraded my computer from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 (beta2) restarted and the splash was screwed i thought meh i can live with it then went into my account switched to tty1(ctrl+alt+F1) and it was the same. got annoyed now asking had anyone else encountered/know how to fix this problem. pictures attached sorry for bad quality took on phone, but that is how it really looks.

Any Help Will be Appreciated Thanks In Advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Terminal/Boot Splash doesn't display correctly

Once upon a time... upgrade-path was intended for upgrades between LTSs, not periodic releases.
    If you've got a seperate /home partition, it's a small matter to install a new version without overwritting the /home partition - you'll have to re-install any post-installation installed software.
    Kipling - "if"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Forgive us for being noob but how do we do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry, been away from the forums for a couple days... and sorry for sounding upitty...

When you're installing Ubuntu, when you get to the partitioning stage, select the option to manually partition. You really only need three partitions, /, swap, and /home.
    Usually, my / partition is approx 6-7gigs, (this leaves ample room for extra applications, then I do a swap partition at 1.5 times the amount of ram, (sleep/suspend requires the extra room to work properly - anything more will never be used), then the /home partition -- as much room as you've got, since this is where all your files will be stored. You also select which type of filesystem to use for each partition, eg. ext3,4, swap, etc. - stick with ext3 or ext4 unless you know your way around harddisk filesystems.

If and when you go to re-install, or upgrade, you simply reselect the existing partitions, edit them (you don't really need to change anything, just go through the motions, select to format the / partition, and be sure to uncheck formating for /home.
    When the installation is finnished, all your old/existing files will still be there.
    The only real "secret" is to uncheck the format option.

It's a really good way to set up your partitions, especially if you're noobish and tend to muck the system up. - and a reinstall/upgrade only takes 5-10minutes if you've got a P4 or better system.

(You select /, swap, /home etc from the drop-down menus in the partitioner, on the same dialog screen where the file-system type is selected)

If you've already installed Ubuntu without a seperate /home partiton, it's actually quite easy to make a seperate /home partition and transfer you files/folders to it through fstab. -- there is more than one good/quick tutorial available on how to do that, - I know Tombuntu and UbuntuGeek both have instructions, google: "add seperate /home partition ubuntu", you'll find lots.

UbuntuGeek http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-cre...in-ubuntu.html
    PsychoCats (great tutorials on almost any Ubuntu-topic) http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
    Last edited by utnubuuser; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Kipling - "if"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello.

The same happened to me, since the upgrade to 10.04.
    Isn't there a way to configure it to display properly again?

And just out of curiosity what causes this? I did the exact
    same upgrade on my netbook and another pc woth no problem.
    Nothing else has been "tampered" with and only my pc has this
    Problem.

greetings
    /moddie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey thanks for the guide uninstalled and it worked for awhile when i started my computer the 3-4 time it went again and there was no new programs i installed b4 in the second 'session'. Im going to try another reinstall now.