Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

Beans

I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

I'm having a lot of difficulty accessing files on an NTFS HD with conflicting permissions

Entry and exit error
    I already tried giving command:
    sudo cmod -R +777 /mnt/sdb1
    and the Input and output error message

2. I entered root terminal and typed nautilus
    Nautilus and navigated to the folder containing the files you are having problems with.
    I right-clicked the folder and selected "Properties".
    In the "Permissions" tab, I clicked "Change Permissions".
    In the "Other Permissions" box, I checked the box next to "Create and delete files."
    Click "OK" to save the changes.

but the input and output error message

How do I get back in possession of my files and written reading permissions and all files?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

Under Linux, NTFS doesn't support permissions. The only method is to set permissions for the entire file system at mount time. Sorry.

chmod and chown don't work for NTFS file systems.

There is a "permissions" option for the NTFS file system driver, but it doesn't work. A few years ago, I tested this specifically. The permissions appeared to work for about a month - I don't use NTFS that much and seldom with multiple users, so I really didn't test more than a few days. After about a month, it was clear that the permissions were gone.

If you need permissions to be supported, fully, use a native Linux file system like ext4 or f2fs.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2#post13865822 explains more and has example mount options.

Beans

Re: I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

I thought about switching to EXT4, would it be possible to convert?
    HD that was used in conjunction with Windows. but Windows doesn't work.
    Every version of Windows they want to dominate the permissions.

I even tried:

sudo add-apt-repository universe
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

oh it did
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading status information... Done
    E: Unable to find ntfs-config package

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

To use the disk or partition as ext4 you would have to reformat it for which you can use gparted; you can not "convert" between NTFS and ext4 in any other way.

You would have to backup those files to some other disk or partition first as they will be deleted by the format operation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamp View Post
    I even tried:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
    I have zero idea what programs ntfs-config may contain and I've never installed it on any of my systems the last 25+ yrs. Is it even a package?
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ntfs-config says, nope, confirming what my local apt search answered.

You've lost me completely.

Beans

The ntfs-3g driver allows read and write access to NTFS partitions. It should already be installed on most Linux distributions, including Ubuntu. You can check with the following command:

dpkg -l ntfs-3g

In Ubuntu Version 22.04.03 LTS it is already built-in. It works.
    If you use Ubuntu it has been running since installation.

But the biggest challenge is having a data HD that Windows and Linux can read. But Windows is becoming very difficult, it is taking ownership of the files. And now on Linux they are disappearing even though they were there. And I can't change permissions.

I'm inclined to convert EXT4 to a very large operation, large HD. But will I be able to read these files later on Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamp View Post
    But the biggest challenge is having a data HD that Windows and Linux can read. But Windows is becoming very difficult, it is taking ownership of the files. And now on Linux they are disappearing even though they were there. And I can't change permissions.
    Permissions, owner, group for NTFS can controlled at mount time under Linux. When you mount the file system, you must set the owner, group, and permissions you want in the mount options. I don't know how to say it any clearer. Sorry.

For data that you want shared between Linux and Windows installed on the same computer, NTFS is, unfortunately, the best option. The only other viable option is exFAT and it also requires mount options to be control the owner, group, and permissions.

If the file system won't mount under Linux, that's usually due to MSFT not properly closing the file system. There are lots of how-to instructions for disabling that "feature" of MS-Windows.

Beans

Now you really left me with doubts.
    I left the HD only with NTFS data and I always mounted the partition in Linux when mounting as you said.

But in the rare moments that I logged into Windows, it always tried to appropriate my files with permissions.

But I don't know how in the HD and partition setup you define permissions. If you have an article or link, I would appreciate it.

I'm inclined to move everything to EXT4 and leave a smaller transitional NTFS partition. I only use NTFS for what I use shared and when I return to Linux I switch to EXT4 and have more control over the files. What do you think. Laborious.

(I read something that you can try to read Windows files with EXT4 extensions only with little efficiency).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

About 20 years ago when I started using Ubuntu I did try the "driver" that was available for WinXP to read an ext# formatted disk.
    It worked, but was very flaky and did not allow any writes to disk so was fairly useless for most things.

I have no idea if such things are still available though I would be surprised if there was not some way to do this, maybe even now to write to ext4 from Windows.

However be prepared for problems as Microsoft always seems to throw spanners in the works when it comes to this sort of cooperation.

Beans

Permissions, owner, group for NTFS can controlled at mount time under Linux. When you mount the file system, you must set the owner, group, and permissions you want in the mount options. I don't know how to say it any clearer. Sorry.
    I would add that this is because NTFS is not able to store *nix ownership and permissions. Therefore, as part of mounting the disk, you tell the driver what owner and permissions you want to pretend that it has. But they are not real, and you can't change them. Trying to change them doesn't cause an error, but doesn't do anything either.

On top of this, if Windows doesn't to a full shutdown (i.e without "fast-start") then we know that Windows may have cached unwritten changes. In this case writing to the disk could conflict with Windows cached data, so Linux mounts the whole filesystem read-only to avoid causing disk corruption.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast