Page 46 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by keturn View Post
    I'm getting the relocation error mentioned, and on my system (installed from karmic 9.10 disc and upgraded to 10.04), /usr/lib64 is a symlink to /usr/lib.

Actually, my relocation error is slightly different:

netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/libnss_files.so.2: symbol __rawmemchr, version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    It will be at least one and probably two weeks before I can pull in the current libc libraries from Debian unstable and try to find a solution (or at least determine if it is the libraries or an Ubuntu configuration issue). In the meantime, anyone else who learns anything more, please share.

Beans

Executing /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator from console it asks for cupsys-common but that package are not in the dependencies. I suggest you to add it to its dependencies.
    A lot of thanks to mantain the support for scx-4100 and scx-4200.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robang View Post
    Executing /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator from console it asks for cupsys-common but that package are not in the dependencies. I suggest you to add it to its dependencies.
    I was trying it on Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10

Beans

sorry if I missed something in the thread but I'm having a prob w/hi-res scanning.

I use gentoo, scx-4623f mfp and used tweedledee's pkg to install just *data and *driver. everything in the printer works perfect including scanning up to 600 dpi.

I use up-to-date sane and xsane and no matter how I try it, scanning at 1200+ dpi starts the scan then generates "error during read: out of memory". I have 4G ram, scanning 'home' has gigs of free disc space, did the 1200 dpi scan in win7 vm using samsung drivers and the image is only 340M.

tbh I don't really know why scanning in linux works at all - there is no "scx4623" in /etc/sane.d/smfp.conf ("smfp" is in dll.conf). but it scans fine if I use 600dpi or less. so all I can guess is that one of the other entries in smfp.conf is why scanning works for mine (I don't have this xerox backend anywhere I can find that I've seen others here mention as a working substitute).

I also notice that besides no 4623 in smfp.conf, no other entry there goes above 600 so:

1. anyone know if I added "1200" to all the existing smfp.conf entries if mine would then work at 1200? I read somewhere it's possible to do physical damage to a scanner by using the wrong settings so am afraid to try it

2. how would I go about gathering all the parameters necessary to add scx4623 to smfp.conf myself? again, I'm afraid to experiment for fear of damaging something.

I used "% ar vx deb_file" to untar tweedledee's deb files and when I do this to his scanning deb file, "data" ends up being a 0-byte file in ./. the other necessary files in his scanning deb only seem to be a couple scripts; iow besides the "data" file it doesn't really look like there's anything in it I need.

thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robang View Post
    Actually, it is. The configurator package depends on the driver, which depends on cups, which depends on the -common package. A while back, Debian (and Ubuntu) renamed all the cups packages "cups-*" instead of "cupsys-*", and so the new name is preferred but it will pull in whichever is available. (cupsys-* packages still exist, but do nothing except depend on the new packages.) The Configurator error is an artifact of Samsung not keeping up with changes to CUPS and doesn't actually matter because the files it needs are present, just in a different package.

If you are actually encountering real problems with the Configurator and not just warnings, it may reflect more recent changes to CUPS and you should share further.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reg4thx View Post
    tbh I don't really know why scanning in linux works at all - there is no "scx4623" in /etc/sane.d/smfp.conf ("smfp" is in dll.conf). but it scans fine if I use 600dpi or less. so all I can guess is that one of the other entries in smfp.conf is why scanning works for mine (I don't have this xerox backend anywhere I can find that I've seen others here mention as a working substitute).
    You could sort it by by commenting out all but one of the entries in /etc/saned.d/dll.conf at a time and see if scanning works (after possibly restarting saned each time, I don't remember if it catches changes to dll.conf without a restart). But since I don't believe any of the open source drivers support that printer yet, it seems likely it is the Samsung driver.

I also notice that besides no 4623 in smfp.conf, no other entry there goes above 600 so:

1. anyone know if I added "1200" to all the existing smfp.conf entries if mine would then work at 1200? I read somewhere it's possible to do physical damage to a scanner by using the wrong settings so am afraid to try it
    Not having tried it, I can't say. But it seems reasonable, since your device can actually scan at that resolution. It may also just be a limitation of the Samsung Linux driver; I don't recall that this issue has come up before.

2. how would I go about gathering all the parameters necessary to add scx4623 to smfp.conf myself? again, I'm afraid to experiment for fear of damaging something.
    Based on my reading of the smfp.conf file, you could probably guess everything except the "twainspec" value pretty easily, and only a couple of values will change compared to other SCX entries. And I'd bet that the appropriate value for that is "3", based on the pattern of printer models. Some things may also be found in the relevant ppd file, as the hwoption entries tend to be the same whether configuring the printer or the scanner.

I used "% ar vx deb_file" to untar tweedledee's deb files and when I do this to his scanning deb file, "data" ends up being a 0-byte file in ./. the other necessary files in his scanning deb only seem to be a couple scripts; iow besides the "data" file it doesn't really look like there's anything in it I need.
    The only thing that package does is add "smfp" to dll.conf, which is why it consists solely of install/remove scripts. I should update it to use a file in /etc/sane.d/dll.d/ instead of modifying dll.conf directly, but that will wait until the next time I need to do significant repackaging.
    Last edited by tweedledee; May 16th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

Is it possible to download the deb files manually? I'm on a Dellbuntu which uses lpia so APT won't download from the repository (it looks for an lpia release which obviously isn't there). If, however, I could download the debs I could install using dpkg --force-architecture : it's not as if printer drivers are something that I will be updating very often so not being able to update them via APT is no great loss.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Cynical View Post
    Is it possible to download the deb files manually? I'm on a Dellbuntu which uses lpia so APT won't download from the repository (it looks for an lpia release which obviously isn't there). If, however, I could download the debs I could install using dpkg --force-architecture : it's not as if printer drivers are something that I will be updating very often so not being able to update them via APT is no great loss.
    Go to http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/dists/debian/extra/ and choose the appropriate architecture to see the files. In general, choose the 3.00.65-3 versions instead of 3.00.37-3 unless you know you need the older ones.
    Last edited by tweedledee; July 3rd, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Updated URL for new home

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    Go to http://www-personal.umich.edu/~tjwat.../debian/extra/ and choose the appropriate architecture to see the files. In general, choose the 3.00.65-3 versions instead of 3.00.37-3 unless you know you need the older ones.
    Thanks - the i386 debs will work fine, lpia is just x86 with some added power saving functions (but apt, having recognised correctly that the kernel is 'lpia' not 'i386' will not download from i386 repos )

Beans

thanks tweedledee.

It may also just be a limitation of the Samsung Linux driver
    If it's not that then I think it might be because the drivers are too old for my printer.

After looking at smpf.conf entries and scan specs on a couple of the printers, they all seem to be more or less the same. I created an entry for mine, used a default dpi setting no other was and xsane came up showing it. when I remove that entry and del ~/.sane, xsane starts with a different value.

but I still get the same xsane crash using my new smfp.conf entry. I'm just guessing but because it scans at all I think it's mainly using /usr/lib/sane/*smfp for basic/generic scan settings and when I look at the timestamp for it from yours or the samsung pkg, it's dated mid-2009 which predates this printer.

with "strings" I see the printers from smfp.conf but nothing for my series in the lib. so it seems like I may have to wait for samsung to update the drivers to know if that will fix it.

Page 46 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast