Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.10 on VIA Chrome9 HC ?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 on VIA Chrome9 HC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickprowls View Post
    I have exactly the same laptop and I'm having considerable trouble getting the display to work (See my amateurish attempts here.) I've tried adding the lines you mention to my xorg.conf, but as I've already been fiddling with it considerably I think I may have broken some things whilst fixing others.

What other steps did you take to get your screen working, and would you mind posting your whole xorg.conf so I can copy it directly into my installation? I presume that as our machines are identical, our xorg.confs can be as well.
    Now I'm now with my Notebook but if you can, please, put your xorg.conf here and I'll review it and include what I've got in my computer.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My current xorg.conf is attached as a text file.

I've tried to take the file back to basics, so it pretty much only includes the advice you gave before.

I should add that the screen is still unusable with this current config, and still crashes as soon as gdm starts.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ||Break it to make it better.||

Beans

My current xorg.conf is attached as a text file.

I've tried to take the file back to basics, so it pretty much only includes the advice you gave before.

I should add that the screen is still unusable with this current config, and still crashes as soon as gdm starts.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    Hello again

I've reviewed your xorg.conf. I've change Driver option. It has to be "openchrome". I send it to you.
    Please, tell me if it's ok. If not, I'll try to help you and in last option, when I'll get at home I'll take my Notebook (I don't know what is your hour. I'm in Spain).
    xorg.conf I send you is changed in Windows (sorry) and I supose it'll have car returns.

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks for that.
    I'm working in SuSE now, so it will take me a few mins to reboot and test this.

BTW: I'm in the UK, so I'm only an hour behind you.

Beans
    Distro

It works!

I duplicated all the settings from your file into my xorg.conf

Thank you so much for helping me out with this.

I'm now typing from my shiny new Intrepid Ibex desktop, and incidentally, what is that on m wallpaper, it looks like a coffee stain in the shape of a screaming man?

Beans

It works!

I duplicated all the settings from your file into my xorg.conf

Thank you so much for helping me out with this.

I'm now typing from my shiny new Intrepid Ibex desktop, and incidentally, what is that on m wallpaper, it looks like a coffee stain in the shape of a screaming man?
    Perfect!!!!

I'm happy you get Intrepid Ibex running... Yes, really, it's a very, very strange image. It seems to me that a cup was spilt of him and he scanned directly the sheet. Or... perhaps... An animal roaring with horns (maybe)... I don't know. I have always preferred the realistic painting to the abstract one.

Beans

It is
    I managed to do me to have a Refresh.
    Here's my xorg.conf(killwin) modification.
    It may be useful to you.

PZDR

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yar4ek View Post
    It is
    I managed to do me to have a Refresh.
    Here's my xorg.conf(killwin) modification.
    It may be useful to you.

PZDR
    Thanks a lot.
    I've tried your xorg.conf and first all seems to go right but with some applications (klear and totem) I get bad refresh (mixed image with green).

Beans

Greetings good people!
    I just wanna to tell that my biggest problem is not just chipset or graphic - it is laptop generally. I always used "openchrome" on 8.04. When I couldn't resolve problems on 8.10 I reinstalled 8.04 and when I tried to use "via" drivers, I have no picture on lcd, same as on 8.10.
    So, if you wanna have Linux instead of Windows, think twice before you buy Fujitsu Siemens.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krtica View Post
    Greetings good people!
    I just wanna to tell that my biggest problem is not just chipset or graphic - it is laptop generally. I always used "openchrome" on 8.04. When I couldn't resolve problems on 8.10 I reinstalled 8.04 and when I tried to use "via" drivers, I have no picture on lcd, same as on 8.10.
    So, if you wanna have Linux instead of Windows, think twice before you buy Fujitsu Siemens.

Exactly.
    I, unfortunately, I have a notebooks Aristo Smart 360 and this unfortunate Graphics Via.
    So, if in the future, I will buy a notebook is certainly no longer commit this error now.

PZDR

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast